Saturday, March 28, 2009

Book Review: Delicate, Edible Birds and Other Stories by Lauren Groff

I’ve recently been obsessed with short stories so when I saw this attractive little volume on the new books shelf, I decided to give these stories a whirl and I am so glad I did. Groff is a wonderful writer who uses beautiful and accessible imagery to illustrate her stories that center on the themes of struggling to find your true self and make sense of the restrictions and boundaries that we and others set for us. The best stories in this collection are the title story “Delicate, Edible Birds” about 5 journalists fleeing Paris during World War II, “Blythe” about a poet who gets caught up in the life of her wild and reckless friend, and “Watershed” about a woman who returns to her small hometown to get married and confronts tragedy. Even if you don’t normally read short stories, I would suggest that you try this author who has also published a novel, The Monsters of Templeton. - Anbolyn (Downtown)

No comments: