Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Review: Fin & Lady

I loved Lady. I loved Fin. I loved Cathleen Schine's novel Fin & Lady. At the beginning of this book, we discover Fin is now an orphan. His father died when he was very young and his mother has died. The only family he has left is his eccentric, much-older sister Lady. Fin has only met her once before when he was five (he's now eleven), but he has fond memories of his time with her.

As I read, I slowly began to realize that someone close to Fin is telling the story, but it wasn't until the very end that I realized who it was. A wonderful story about family, love, and growing up in the 1960s.

If you're a fan of coming-of-age stories that give you a sense of both time and place (and memorable characters), like Cold Sassy Tree, then definitely read this book. - Melissa (Downtown)

No comments: