Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review: Longbourn

Sarah is a brave, hardworking young woman employed by the Bennett family. When the Bingley family comes to the neighborhood AND the Bennetts hire a new footman, things begin changing in Sarah's world. And it's a world I've always been curious about...

Every time I read a Jane Austen novel, I think about what's going on in the world outside the houses and small villages the stories take place in. Austen gives you a very insular view of the world and I don't mean that in a bad way, but you just get tiny glimpses if you get any at all.

Longbourn filled in some of those gaps about the life for the other half of British society in Regency England. It could easily stand alone, and you don't have to be a fan of Pride and Prejudice to love the story here. I think it will appeal to fans of Downton Abbey or Upstairs, Downstairs and even to general historical fiction fans. - Melissa (Downtown)

No comments: