Monday, May 12, 2014

Book Review: I Am Malala

I Am Malala is the incredible story of Malala Yousafzai, the 15-year-old girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban at point blank range. A background of the politics and events leading up to the shooting, and the inspiring testimony of the power of education.

In a nation where education is freely provided to all children, regardless of their race, gender, or status, it is easy for students to take it for granted. Having taught in a public middle school, I witnessed this rejection of knowledge all too often. If we do not value education, we are supporting ignorance. It is ignorance that perpetuates discrimination and intolerance, and that makes people subject to manipulation and oppression. It is ignorance that tries to silence a girl who recognizes that knowledge is powerful.

Malala's story not only inspires me to raise my voice in support of education for all, but it also instills in me a greater personal desire to fight ignorance, and continually arm myself with knowledge and truth.

“Let us pick up our books and our pens, they are the most powerful weapons." -Malala Yousafzai


Review by Rebecca (Sunset). I Am Malala is a popular title with Chandler Library staff. Read our earlier review of the book here.

No comments: