Monday, December 9, 2013

Book Review: Life After Life

My first instinct when I got to the end of Life After Life, a novel set in the Pine Haven retirement center, was to throw it across the room. But since I read a digital ARC (advance reading copy), I thought better of it. I wanted to throw the book, not my iPad. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this book. McCorkle made me feel real emotions. REAL, ya'll.

While the events of the book only cover a couple of days, you get each character's story. You love some, you despise some, and some you want to hug. And in the end you realize that life isn't always easy, but it goes on. We lose people around us, but they live on in our memory.

While I felt like some stories weren't finished, we got a snapshot of life (and death) in and near Pine Haven. The more you read, the more heartbreaking each story becomes, but also hopeful because there was someone with them: Joanna. Great book.

(And if you think...life in a retirement village? Why would I want to read about that? This book is so much more than that. SO MUCH MORE.) - Melissa (Downtown)

No comments: